Report on Oil Sightings throughout Coastal Louisiana
BATON ROUGE (July 22, 2010) - The below is a situational awareness report of oil impacted areas led by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Louisiana Army National Guard and local governments.
Note: The information in this report has been forwarded to the federal incident command post in Houma, which is composed of U.S. Coast Guard and BP officials. This report consists of newly impacted areas, and does not serve as a comprehensive listing of impacted areas.
Sightings Report July 22, 2010
- Sighting: Oil sheen with streamers located 5.35 miles ENE of Half Moon Island.
- Sighting: Oil streamer located 6 miles SE of Waveland, Ms.
- Sighting: A streamer of emulsified oil 2 miles long located 4.4 miles E of the Southeast Pass.
- Sighting: Oil impacting marsh grass on E side of entrance to Upper Wilkerson Bay.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls located 2 miles WSW of the West Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil with large pancakes located 1.3 miles SE of East Jetty.
- Sighting: 3 mile by 4 mile area of oil sheen located offshore 2.25 miles SE of the E end of East Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: Emulsified oil located 1.5 miles SSE of the E end of East Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: Oil possibly impacting the beach and vegetation on the E end of Trinity Island.
- Sighting: Oil possibly impacting the beach and vegetation located 3.75 miles from the W end of Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: Emulsified oil located 1.9 miles SE of Little Mosquito Bayou.
- Sighting: Oil impacting the shore of Wine Island.
- Sighting: Oil streamer located 1.25 SSW of Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: Several long patches of oil located offshore 7.3 SW of Little Mosquito Island.
- Sighting: Heavy tar patties located 1.5 miles SW of Eugene Island.
- Sighting: 10 mile oil streamer located offshore 7.8 miles SW of Big Constance Lake.
- Sighting: 1inch by 2 inch fresh black tar ball found on beach 7.25 miles E of the Louisiana State Line.
- Sighting: 1inch by 2 inch fresh black tar ball found 4.9 miles E of the Calcasieu Ship Channel.
- Sighting: Numerous reports of tar balls on shore covering a 2 mile area, some with an orange tint, located on Rutherford Beach starting 3 miles E of the mouth of the Mermentau River.