Report on Oil Sightings throughout Coastal Louisiana
BATON ROUGE (July 23, 2010) - The below is a situational awareness report of oil impacted areas led by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Louisiana Army National Guard and local governments.
Note: The information in this report has been forwarded to the federal incident command post in Houma, which is composed of U.S. Coast Guard and BP officials. This report consists of newly impacted areas, and does not serve as a comprehensive listing of impacted areas.
Sightings Report July 23, 2010
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls located offshore 17 miles E of Point Gardner.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls located in Bayou Tobacco 1 mile W of Anderson Point.
- Sighting: Oil impacting grass on an unnamed island located in Morgan Harbor 2.67 miles NW of Point Paulina.
- Sighting: Oil impacting marsh located 2.19 miles E of Grace Point.
- Sighting: Oil impacting the beach of an unnamed island located in Drum Bay 1.76 miles SW of Turtle Pen Isle.
- Sighting: Oil impacting grass located in Live Oak Bayou 1.86 miles W of Turtle Pen Isle
- Sighting: Oil sheen located 11 miles NW of the Breton Islands.
- Sighting: Oil sheen impacting vegetation located between Dennis and Wright Pass.
- Sighting: Oil located at the mouth of South Pass near the East Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls located 2 miles SW of the South Pass, East Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil sheen located 6.23 miles ESE of Burrwood Bayou.
- Sighting: Oil located 1.40 miles S of Cockler Point
- Sighting: Tar balls located in Burrwood Bayou .55 miles NE of Burrwood Production Facility Heliport.
- Sighting: Oil located offshore 4 miles S of Southwest Pass.
- Sighting: Oil located offshore 7.74 miles SW of Southwest Pass.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with red streaks located in Pass Abel .28 miles N of the E side of Isle Grand Terre.
- Sighting: Oil impacting marsh grass located in Wilkinson Bayou 4 miles NNE of Saint Marys Point.
- Sighting: Oil impacting marsh located in Polk and Dallas Bayou 1.31 miles SW of Jessies Island.
- Sighting: mile wide by 15 miles long area of oil sheen with oil patches located offshore 6.8 miles S of the East Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil, tar balls, and several 3 feet wide by 30 feet long located .65 miles W of the West Jetty.
- Sighting: Numerous large diameter patches of oil sporadically covering a 15 mile area located offshore 7.65 miles SE of the W end of Grand Isle
- Sighting: Oil impacting Fourchon Beach 1 NE of Bay Champagne.
- Sighting: Several long patches of oil located offshore 7.5 miles SW of Little Mosquito Bayou.
- Sighting: Oil streamers located offshore 8 miles SSW of Isles Dernieres.
- Sighting: 30 feet wide brown, thick oil patches impacting the grass on an unnamed marsh island located .45 miles SW of Cooke Point.
- Sighting: 30 black, soft tar balls 1inch and 3inch located on shore .3 miles from Lebleu Camp Road.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with streamers located offshore 7.85 miles SW of Big Constance Lake.
- Sighting: Black tar balls found on Rutherford Beach 1.5 miles W of Highway 27.
- Sighting: Tar ball found on beach 6.25 miles E of the Calcasieu Ship Channel.
- Sighting: 5 inch by 3 inch tar ball found on beach 2.3 miles W of the Mermentau River mouth.
- Sighting: Tar balls found on beach 1 mile W of the Mermentau River mouth.
- Sighting: 7 inch by 3 inch tar balls located 1.7 miles ESE of Mermentau River mouth.