Report on Oil Sightings throughout Coastal Louisiana
BATON ROUGE (July 28, 2010) - The below is a situational awareness report of oil impacted areas led by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Louisiana Army National Guard and local governments.
Note: The information in this report is unconfirmed by the state and has been forwarded to the federal incident command post in Houma, which is composed of U.S. Coast Guard and BP officials, for their action. This report consists of newly impacted areas, and does not serve as a comprehensive listing of impacted areas.
Sightings Report July 28, 2010
- Sighting: Oil slugs and tar balls Located in Treasure Bay 1.15 miles E of Treasure Bay Pass.
- Sighting: Black thick oil impacting 50 feet to 75 feet into the marsh and 30 feet in water located on the S end of Gardner Island.
- Sighting: Black and brown oil impacting the marsh grass on an unnamed island .35 miles NW of Fiddler Point.
- Sighting: Red and brown tar balls covering an area miles wide by 3 miles long located 2.2 miles WSW of Comfort Island.
- Sighting: Reddish brown oil impacting the NE shore of Dry Bread Island.
- Sighting: Oil impacting the marsh grass for a length of 300 feet long on the NW bank of the Southeast Jack Williams Bay.
- Sighting: Oil located impacting shoreline 2.14 miles WNW of Sandy Point.
- Sighting: 200 Yards by 200 Yards area of oil sheen located offshore 4 miles NW of Sandy Point.
- Sighting: Oil sheen and tar balls located offshore 4.8 miles SSE of Pelican Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with pancakes and tar balls 6.5 miles located offshore 6.5 miles SW of the East Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls offshore 2.4 miles E of the East Jetty.
- Sighting: Oil sheen and tar balls located offshore 2.75 miles E of Burrwood Bayou.
- Sighting: Heavily oiled beach with tar balls and pancakes located 1.5 miles NE of the E-5 Tank Battery Seaplane Base.
- Sighting: Oil along the beach 1.35 miles SW of the South Pass.
- Sighting: Oil tar balls located 2.14 miles WSW of the West Jetty.
- Sighting: Small tar balls located at the end of South Pass.
- Sighting: Possible impacted area observed in Division 7 OIL???
- Sighting: Possible impacted area observed in Division 7 OIL
- Sighting: Tar balls located at the W entrance to Bayou Ronquille.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with baseball sized tar balls located in the N end of Redfish Bay.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with quarter-sized tar balls located in Pass A Loutre 1.15 miles W of the South Mud Lumps.
- Sighting: 5 feet by 1 mile line of pink light oil located 3.6 miles E of Harris Island and 6.89 miles SE of the North Pass.
- Sighting: 100 yards diameter patches of heavy emulsified oil located in Caminada Bay .37 miles NW of Foster Road.
- Sighting: Oil slugs, patties and sheen located 3.15 miles ESE of the W end of Grand Isle.
- Sighting: Small patch of brown emulsified oil located offshore 4 miles SSE of Barataria Pass.
- Sighting: Oil located .6 miles ENE of Mendicant Island.
- Sighting: Light gray sheen scattered throughout Barataria Pass.
- Sighting: Scattered patches of sheen located near center of Bay Ronquille.
- Sighting: 20-50 yard patch of quarter sized to half-dollar sized tar balls E end of Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: Oil impacting the marsh on the NE side of Casse-Tete Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with possible emulsion located offshore 2.4 miles SSE of the Timbalier Bay Seaplane Base on Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: 20 feet by 40 feet area of oil sheen located 1.6 miles S of the Belle Pass mouth.
- Sighting: Emulsion streamers located offshore 3.6 miles SSE of the Belle Pass mouth.
- Sighting: Numerous patches of oil sheen with possible tar patties located offshore 6.75 miles SSE of the Belle Pass mouth.
- Sighting: Oil located in the SE end of Bay Lizette
- Sighting: 1 mile long line of tar balls and pink oil patches located 5.28 miles S of Little Pass Timbalier.
- Sighting: Multiple light oil streamers with embedded 30 feet oil patches located 1 mile W of East Timbalier Island.
- Sighting: .75 mile line of red tar balls located 1.2 miles S of Calumet Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with orange emulsified oil, tar balls, and pancakes located offshore 6.5 miles SSW of Taylor's Bayou.
- Sighting: Several patches of oil sheen located offshore 5 miles to 7 miles S of Whiskey Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with orange globules inside the boom at the N end of Whiskey Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen in streamers and tar balls located offshore 3.25 miles SW of Wine Island.
- Sighting: Oil sheen located in the southern mouth of Bayou Grand Caillou and extending N to Caillou Lake.
- Sighting: Oil sheen with tar balls located 1 mile NW of Grand Pass des Ilettes near the Caillou Bay shoreline.
- Sighting: Red oil patches located 1.42 miles N of Whiskey Island in eastern Bay Round.
Sighting: Oil impact on approximately 300 yards of the northern shoreline of Timbalier Island located 1.7 miles W of the eastern tip.