DSS to Operate 41 Disaster Food Stamp Program sites on Monday, Sept. 15th
Department of Social ServicesNews Update
BATON ROUGE La. (September 15, 2008) - The Department of Social Services (DSS) has taken more than 194,000 applications for Disaster Food Stamps in less than a week and will have 41 sites in operation on Monday, Sept. 15th where eligible Louisiana residents affected by Hurricane Gustav can apply for the federal Disaster Food Stamp Program.
The Department of Social Services recognizes the efforts of local city officials and organizations that have assisted in preparing sites of operation that have been closed due to the impact of Hurricane Ike.
The following sites will be open as of Monday September 15th. Please make note of the locations highlighted in bold with extended hours of operation from 6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY. All other sites have regular hours of operation from 8:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY.
- Alario Center - Jefferson Parish (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- New Orleans Convention Center - Orleans Parish (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- Christian Fellowship - St. Bernard Parish
- East Baton Rouge OFS - East Baton Rouge Parish (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church - East Baton Rouge Parish (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- East Feliciana Parish Early Childhood Learning Center - East Feliciana Parish
- Plaquemine Civic Center - Iberville Parish
- St. Gabriel Community Center - Iberville Parish
- Pointe Coupee Multi Use Center - Pointe Coupee Parish
- West Baton Rouge OFS - West Baton Rouge Parish
- West Feliciana Parish Parks and Recreation Center - West Feliciana Parish
- North Park - Livingston Parish
- St. Helena OFS - St. Helena Parish
- Castine Center - St. Tammany Parish
- Amite Community Center - Tangipahoa Parish
- African American Heritage Museum - Tangipahoa Parish
- Sorrento Civic Center - Ascension Parish (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- Community Worship Center - Assumption Parish
- Peltier Park - Lafourche Parish
- Bayou Centroplex - Lafourche Parish
- St. Charles Parish OFS - St. Charles Parish
- West Bank Reception Center - St. James Parish
- New Wine Fellowship - St. John Parish
- Bayou Black Recreation Center - Terrebonne Parish
- Kirschman's Building - Terrebonne Parish
- Acadia OFS - Acadia Parish
- Our Lady Queen of All Saints Family Life Center - Evangeline Parish
- Jaycee Bingo - Iberia Parish
- Blackham Coliseum - Lafayette (6:00AM - 8:00PM DAILY)
- City of Opelousas Teen Center. - St. Landry Parish
- Magnolia City Park - St. Martin Parish
- Franklin Recreation Center - St. Mary Parish
- Sacred Heart Church Hall - St. Mary Parish
- West St. Mary Civic Center - St. Mary Parish
- St. Theresa Catholic Church Hall (CLOSED ON SUNDAYS) - Vermilion Parish
- Allen Parish Civic Center - Allen Parish (Will MOVE to Allen Parish City Hall on Tuesday, Sept. 16)
- Avoyelles OFS - Avoyelles Parish
- Alexandria Mall (Stein Mart) - Rapides Parish
- Bossier OFS - Bossier Parish
- Caddo OFS - Caddo Parish
- Ouachita OFS - Ouachita Parish
Applicants are asked to continue to monitor DSS’s website as well as news reports for the most current information regarding site openings, hours of operation, eligibility and information required to fill out the application forms.
Participants in the regular state Food Stamp Program do not need to apply for disaster aid because any revised benefits will automatically have been added to their current Electronic Benefit card.
Individuals with disabilities can designate an authorized representative to apply for Disaster Food Stamps on their behalf. Also, each site manager has developed special procedures for assisting the disabled. Applicants with these special needs should make themselves known to the site manager or staff at the site
In order to help the elderly, Council on Aging staff members have been trained to administer Disaster Food Stamps. People 60 years of age or older should contact their local parish Councils on Aging for the nearest Disaster Food Stamp Assistance Application Site for seniors. If the local Council on Aging is not available, seniors should contact the Governor's Office of Elderly Affairs at 1-877-340-9100.
For more information about the Disaster Food Stamps Program and other DSS services visit: www.dss.state.la.us or call 1-888-LAHELPU (1-888-524-3578).