Louisiana.gov logo > Explore > Emergency > Home Agencies  | Contacts  
Urgent! emergency.louisiana.gov  
            En Español       


Resources available to individuals

Open Houses/Expos
There will be Open Houses/Expos held in the following locations next week. Officials from BP, the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Dept. of Environmental Quality, Louisiana Workforce Commission, LSU AG Center Research and Extension, Dept. of Economic Development, and the Dept. of Social Services will be on hand. The Open House/Expos will offer residents the opportunity to engage one-on-one with experts about the techniques, strategies and materials being used in the spill response.
Vermilion Parish
July 20, 2010, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Vietnamese Hall
1201 Lafayette St.
Abbeville, LA
Plaquemines Parish
July 20, 2010, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Buras Auditorium
35619 Hwy. 11,
Buras, LA
St. Tammany Parish
July 27, 2010, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Location TBD
St. Mary Parish
July 29, 2010, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
4014 Chennault St.
Morgan City, LA
St. Bernard Parish
August 19, 2010, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Location TBD
Chalmette, LA

For additional information, contact the Houma Joint Information Center at (985) 493-7835.

Representatives from BP, the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, the Environmental Protection Agency and other state and partner agencies responding to the Deepwater Horizon BP oil spill, will host two open house Expos Tuesday and Thursday in Plaquemines Parish at 6 p.m. CDT.

The open house expos will offer Plaquemines residents the opportunity to engage one-on-one with experts about the techniques, strategies and materials being used in the spill response.

The expos will feature experts and representatives from responding agencies who will answer questions and provide visual information on the various tools, equipment and strategies that are being used in the response, including booms, burns, sand berms, skimming and dispersants. Agencies will be available to address concerns about environmental quality, wildlife, safety and resources available to residents. Information will also be available on the Vessels of Opportunity (VOO) Program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and volunteer and employment efforts.

Claims representatives will be available for any questions or concerns residents might have on the claims process.

Food and household commodity assistance

Second Harvest Food Bank Greater New Orleans and Acadiana
Second Harvest member agencies provide nutritious food and fresh produce to children and seniors, distribute emergency food boxes to working families dealing with crisis and serve hot meals to the homeless. Member agencies can be found on the Second Harvest website - or by phone 504-734-1322, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Second Harvest member agencies are located in Acadia, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Evangeline, Iberia, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John the Baptist, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion and Washington parishes.

Dept. of Social Services SNAP Outreach Sites
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, offers longer-term food assistance by way of an Electronic Benefits Card (EBT) that recipients can use to purchase foods for the household to eat, such as breads and cereals; fruits and vegetables; meats, fish and poultry; and dairy products. Recipients can also purchase seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat. In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept regular SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.

DSS currently operates several SNAP Outreach centers in coastal parishes. SNAP Outreach sites are open Monday through Friday and are evaluated daily. Visit www.dss.louisiana.gov/oil to view the latest SNAP outreach sites or call Sammy Guillory at (225) 342-3961.

Sites (as of 6/01/10) Parish
Louisiana Workforce Commission
1112 Engineers Road
Belle Chasse, LA
St Patrick Catholic Church
28698 Hwy 23
Port Sulphur,  LA
St. Bernard Community Center
1107 LeBeau Street
Arabi, LA  70032
St. Bernard
First Baptist Church
305 East St. Bernard Hwy
Chalmette, LA  70043
St. Bernard
Louisiana Workforce Commission
8201 West Judge Perez, 2nd Floor
Chalmette, LA  70043
St. Bernard
Louisiana Workforce Commission
Mobile Unit
Ducros Museum and Library
St. Bernard
BP Site – Tarpon Heights Shopping Center
16263 East Main Street
Cut Off, LA  70345
City Building
2654 Jean Lafitte Blvd.
Lafitte, LA
Louisiana Workforce Commission
316 E. Howze Beach Road
Slidell, La.  70461
St. Tammany
Council on Aging
113 Senior Center Street
Chauvin  LA  70344
Mary Queen of Vietnam
4626 Alcee Fortier Blvd.
New Orleans, LA  701299
BP Site
4375 Michoud Blvd.
New Orleans, LA  70129

At the Outreach sites, you can learn more about SNAP, fill out an application and have a verification interview conducted.

If DSS currently does not have a SNAP outreach location in your area, you can apply online at www.dss.louisiana.gov/ApplyNow. This application is also for Family Independence Temporary Assistance (FITAP), Kinship Care Subsidy (KCSP) and the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP).

Questions? Call 1-888-LA-HELP-U

Baby Supplies
Catholic Charities is offering assistance with baby supplies at these sites:

Mary, Queen of Vietnam Community Development Corporation
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
4626 Alcee Fortier Blvd.
New Orleans, LA
St. Thomas Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
17605 Highway 15
Pointe A la Hache, LA
St. Bernard Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
2805 Bayou Road
St. Bernard, LA
St. Patrick Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
28698 Highway 23
Port Sulphur, LA

Mental Health Counseling, Case Management and Physical Health

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans offers:

  • Case Management Services
  • Mental Health/Crisis Counseling

Mary, Queen of Vietnam Community Development Corporation
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
4626 Alcee Fortier Blvd.
New Orleans, LA
St. Anthony Catholic Church Parish Hall
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
2653 Jean Lafitte Blvd.
Lafitte, LA
St. Bernard Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
2805 Bayou Road
St. Bernard, LA
St. Patrick Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
28698 Highway 23
Port Sulphur, LA
St. Thomas Catholic Church
9:00 am – 2:00 pm
17605 Highway 15
Pointe A la Hache, LA

Other ways to reach Catholic Charities

  • Catholic Charities Care Line (866) 891-2210

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of New Orleans serves Orleans, St. Bernard, Plaquemines, Jefferson, St. Charles, St. John the Baptists, St. Tammany and Washington parishes.

Catholic Charities of Houma/Thibodaux diocese is also coordinating assistance from local food banks, disaster centers and other charitable agencies.. If you’ve been put out of work by the spill and need help, you can call Catholic Charities at 985-876-0490.

Catholic Charities Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux is offering:

  • Case management services
  • Emergency food or prescription help
  • Help to prevent utility disconnects or eviction
  • Mental health/Crisis counseling

Call the Catholic Charities Oil Spill hot lines at (985) 696-1943 or (985) 696-1934 for assistance in the Houma-Thibodaux diocese. Case workers area available to visit your home.

DHH - Louisiana Spirit Coastal Recovery Counseling Program
Provides crisis counseling and referrals
Call 1-866-310-7977

Health Impacts
Important information from the Centers of Disease Control

Including information:

The CDC also provides information for clean-up workers on:

Workforce Assistance

Louisiana Workforce Commission
The Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) will have four mobile units open Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, June 4, offering services for individuals affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Mobile unit locations are:

  • Islenos Museum, 1345 Bayou Road, St. Bernard. Open 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • 2654 Jean Lafitte Blvd. (adjacent to the Town Hall), Lafitte. Open 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Grand Isle Community Center, 3811 La. 1, Grand Isle. Open 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
  • Lafourche Parish Library, 16241 E. Main St., Cut Off. Open 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church, 28698 Highway 23, Port Sulphur. Open 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. from Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, June 4.

A range of services will be offered, including assistance with applying for potential jobs that may become available due to the oil spill.

Additionally, you view a list of available oil spill-related jobs at LaWorks.net

Job seekers who are asked to pay for oil spill clean-up training or believe they have encountered an unlicensed Private Employment Service should call the LWC's Labor Programs office at 225-342-7690.

File a Claim with BP
If you have been affected by the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, you may be eligible for funds to help cover your losses. BP has set up a claims process and has begun to compensate individuals and business for loss and/or damages including property damages and loss of income. Additionally, the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, managed by the U.S. Coast Guard’s National Pollution Funds Center, is available to pay for qualified costs and damages. If you have been affected by the oil spill you must first seek reimbursement through BP’s claims process before seeking reimbursement through the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund.

Who Both private individuals and businesses may file claims.
What You may be eligible for compensation for loss of income (including for fishing and rental property), property damage or loss.
How Claims may  be filed with BP in three ways:
  1. Call the BP Claims Line at 1-800-440-0858. The line is toll-free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  2. File a claim online at http://www.bp.com/claims.
  3. Visit one of 22 BP claims centers (scroll down to see locations in Louisiana).


If you have questions about submitting a claim, you may call the BP Claims Line and speak with an operator. You may also visit a BP claims center to discuss your claim or submit documentation regarding your claim.
Next Each claim will be assigned to a Claims Representative who will contact you to ask for additional information regarding your claim.
BP Claim Denial If your claim with BP is denied or not settled within 90 days of submission, you may wish to contact the U.S. Coast Guard’s National Pollution Funds Center.

BP Claims Centers

Plaquemines Parish
Point ala Hache
15535 Hwy 15
Davant 70046

41093 Hwy La 23
Boothville 70038

St. Bernard Parish
St. Bernard
1345 Bayou Rd.
St. Bernard 70085
Jefferson Parish
Grand Isle
3811 LA 1
Community Center
Grand Isle  70358

2654 Jean Lafitte Blvd.,
Town Hall
Lafitte  77067

Gretna/Belle Chasse
2766 Belle Chasse Hwy., Suite A09
Belle Chasse  70037

1280 Westbank Expressway
Westwego 77094
Terrebonne Parish
Plaza Caillou Shopping Center
814 Grand Caillou Rd., Suites 2 & 3
Houma 70363

5703 Hwy 56,
Southern Events Building
Chauvin 70344
St. Tammany Parish
2040 Gause Blvd.
Slidell  70461

Lafourche Parish
Cut Off
Tarpon Heights Shopping Center
Unit 2,
16263 E. Main St.
Cut Off  70345

Orleans Parish
New Orleans East
4375 Michoud Blvd
New Orleans  70129
Iberia Parish
New Iberia
956 S. Lewis Street
New Iberia 70560
St. Mary Parish
Morgan City/Bayou Vista
931 US Hwy 90
Bayou Vista 70380

BP Claims Process Manual
This BP document describes its claims process established to take and process legitimate claims arising from the Deepwater Horizon Incident.


Instructions: Fill out and return the correct form (either Individual or Wholesale/Retail Dealer). If you are requesting data for your Commercial Fisherman's license number, use the Individual Fisherman's Request Form. If you are requesting data for a business, use the Wholesale/Retail Seafood Dealer Form. The Data Request Instructions have further details on completing this process.

Please do not submit the form in person to Wildlife and Fisheries. Notarized forms can be submitted by mail or fax.

Mailing Address:

Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries
Trip Ticket Office, Room 38
P.O. Box 98000
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Fax: (225) 765-2624

Someone will contact you once your request is processed and complete. If you have any questions, please call the Trip Ticket Office at (225) 765-2399.

U.S. Coast Guard Claims Process:
To file a claim with the Coast Guard, you must first file a claim with BP. Both private individuals and businesses that have filed claims with BP that were either denied or not settled in 90 days may file claims by calling 1-800-280-7118 or visiting www.uscg.mil/npfc/claims.

Additionally, BP recently announced it will appoint an independent claims mediator to proactively assist in resolving disagreements between claimants and the company.

Vessel of Opportunity: To submit your vessel as a vessel of opportunity skimming system, or to submit alternative response technology, services, or products, call 281-366-5511.

Help for Homeowners

Mortgage help

  • Freddie Mac has announced relief for the Gulf Coast borrowers affected by the oil spill. Freddie Mac’s forbearance policies give servicers the discretion to suspend a borrower’s mortgage payments for up to three months or reduce payments for up to six months. Servicers may recommend forbearance for up to twelve months, based on the borrower’s individual circumstances.  View the press release

  • Fannie Mae has announced that servicers may immediately suspend or reduce mortgage payments for borrowers whose properties or income are negatively impacted by the Gulf oil spill.  View the press release

  • CitiMortgage announced Foreclosure Suspension Program to help distressed homeowners in the Gulf of Mexico region. The aim of this program is to allow distressed homeowners to remain in their homes during these uncertain times as the Gulf communities respond to the oil spill and its economic repercussions. During the three-month suspension, effective June 17 through September 17, 2010, borrowers with first mortgage loans owned by CitiMortgage and who meet certain other criteria will not be subject to foreclosure sales or foreclosure notifications.  View press release

  • HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies - HUD approved counseling agencies that can assist individuals with free foreclosure prevention services. As part of President Obama's comprehensive Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan (HASP), you may be eligible for a special Making Home Affordable loan modification or refinance, to reduce your monthly payments and help you keep your home.If you are eligible for the loan modification or refinance program, the counselor will work with you to compile an intake package for your servicer.  Agencies in Louisiana

  • Veteran Affairs (VA) can help communicate with lenders of VA-backed mortgages to request the lenders give consideration during times of disaster.

  • USDA’s Rural Development Home Loan mortgage payment deferment (called a moratorium) is an agreement between the Agency and a program borrower to suspend the requirement for the borrower to make payments for up to a two-year period. A moratorium is intended to help a borrower who is experiencing temporary financial difficulties avoid foreclosure. Before considering a moratorium, a borrower must first be considered for payment subsidy, or if currently receiving a payment subsidy, an increase in such assistance.

  • HopeNow is an alliance between counselors, mortgage companies, investors, and other mortgage market participants. This alliance will maximize outreach efforts to homeowners in distress to help them stay in their homes and will create a unified, coordinated plan to reach and help as many homeowners as possible. The members of this alliance recognize that by working together, they will be more effective than by working independently. http://hopenow.com/

Mortgage Relief Fairs
Get information about:

  • Options to avoid foreclosure
  • Loan modifications programs
  • Repayment Plans
  • Forebearance

Meet Individually with a certified housing counselor

Free and Open to the public. Refreshments will be provided. Call (504) 596-2100 for more information.


St. Bernard Parish
Friday, August 6, 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Parish Council Chambers
8201 W. Judge Perez
Chalmette, LA
Plaquemines Parish
St. Patrick Catholic Church
28618 Hwy. 23
Port Sulphur, LA
Friday, August 6, 9:00 a.m. - Noon

Event made possible by Fannie Mae, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center, Life Impact Center, Southeast Louisiana Legal Services, Money Management International, Neighborhood Housing Services of New Orleans, Souther University Center for Social Research Louisiana IDA Program and LSU AgCenter.

Tax Assistance

IRS Opens Dedicated Phone Line for Gulf Oil Spill Victims
The Internal Revenue Service has opened a special telephone line for taxpayers affected by the Gulf oil spill.

  • Individuals who have questions about the BP payments or who are experiencing filing or payment hardships because of the oil spill should contact the IRS at 866-562-5227.
  • The special services phone line will operate weekdays from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time.

In certain cases, the IRS can assist oil spill victims by suspending collection and examination actions. Taxpayers who need this assistance must request it. Others may decide to continue making payments because interest will continue to accrue on outstanding balances, even if some penalties are abated.

In addition to postponing collection actions, the IRS continues to have a number of other ways to help taxpayers deal with oil spill issues or other economic hardships, including:

  • Added flexibility for missed payments on installment agreements and offers in compromise for previously compliant individuals.
  • Consideration of a taxpayer’s current income and potential for future income when negotiating an offer in compromise.
  • Accelerated levy releases.
  • Assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Services (http://www.irs.gov/advocate/index.html) those experiencing economic harm and seeking help resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels.

Companion Animal Relief Program

Free pet care will be provided to residents of Plaquemines, St. Bernard, Terrebonne and Jefferson parishes who work in the fishing industry.

Free pet care includes services provided at the LA/SPCA by licensed veterinarians:

  • Basic exam including tests for Feline Leukemia, FIV in cats and
  • Heartworms in dogs
  • Vaccinations
  • Microchip and registration
  • Spay or neuter surgery

Dog food will be provided from a generous donation by Del Monte Foods coordinated by Best Friends Animal Society while supplies last.

Residents can begin scheduling appointments by calling the LA/SPCA directly: 504-363-1333 or 504-368-5191 ext. 141. Appointments will be provided on a first come first serve basis through November.

Proof of eligibility is required and can be: a Commercial Fishing License, Trip Tickets, Check stub from Seafood-related industry, or signed letter from captain including a copy of one his supporting documents listed above.



Terms of Use   |   Contacts   |   Privacy and Security Policy   |   Link Policy   |   Accessibility Policy